E87 | Elisabeth Oehler: Talent Identification
Elisabeth Oehler is a weightlifting and strength & conditioning coach and consultant who helps organizations to evolve and refine their athletic development programs. She also helps coaches and athletes from different sports (e.g., weightlifting, rugby, etc.) on a remote basis. Currently, Elisabeth works as an expert in long-term athletic development and youth sports at the école nationale de l’éducation physique et des sports, an executive department of the sports ministry in Luxemburg.
Oehler studied sport science with a focus on sports pedagogy at the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany, and is currently an MSc student in sport coaching at the University of Birmingham, U.K. From 2017 through the end of 2020, she worked as a full-time coach for the German Weightlifting Federation, first as a manager of the youth department and later as head of talent identification. Elisabeth is a licensed weightlifting coach (DOSB A-Licence High Performance) and specialized Youth Coach by the German Olympic Sports Confederation and has further qualifications in strength & conditioning.
Oehler has a huge passion for rugby and collision sports in general and has worked as a strength & conditioning coach with national team players leading to the Rugby European Championships 2019 (Germany 15s), professional rugby players in France, and youth rugby players on an individual basis. In 2019 and 2020, she interned with the Stormers (South Africa) and shadowed the coaching staff at Saracens (U.K.) and the Blitzboks (South Africa 7s).
- Elisabeth’s coaching journey and how she ended up working in the youth athlete talent identification space
- Does traditional talent ID serve the children or the adults
- Uncertainties associated with talent ID
- Do we truly know how to develop talent
- What should talent ID look like in practice
- When is early specialization justified
- Skill development in youth athletes
- Communication strategies for working with youth athletes
- Elisabeth’s consulting business
Links of Interest:
Freebies and exclusive promos!
We won't share your info. Unsubscribe at any time.